Homework at OGPS
Our Homework Policy is available on our Policies Page
To summarise the policy...
- We want to support parents to help their children at home.
- We want a consistent approach so parents and children know what to expect.
- We want to consolidate and reinforce learning.
- We want to encourage skills of independence & resilience.
- We want homework to be achievable and enjoyable, not onerous or create stress!
Overview of Expectations
- Homework will be set on a Friday and be collected in the following Wednesday
- Half termly task;
- Children will be given number facts to learn and practice each half term to support their maths work in class.
- Weekly tasks include;
- Reading - minimum of three times per week with parents signing Reading Record books to help establish a good reading pattern with children
- Learning a spelling list (these will be tested each week)
- One other piece that might be English or maths based at the class teachers' discretion
- Other projects or tasks may be set for other subjects over the term or half term. where this happens children will be given a minimum of two weeks to complete such a task.
- Focus of homework is learning together - focus is mainly English based to support language development.
- Reading- parents will receive information about the phonics work we are completing so you can support with this at home. We ask that parents read TO their children on a regular basis as well as encouraging children to read TO parents were they are able.
- Letter formation - parents are asked to help children with their writing, being able to form letters makes a big difference to their writing.
- Key Words & Tricky Words - we will share these with parents and ask you to spend time looking at them with your child.
- In reception, homework begins from the second half of the autumn term to allow them plenty of time to settle into the school.
KS1 (Y1 & Y2)
- Focus is on Maths & English.
- Reading three times a week for approx. 10-15mins each time (minimum).
- Parents should continue to balance reading to their child and hearing their child read.
KS2 (Y3, 4, 5 & 6)
- Focus is Maths & English but important skill is independent learning!
- Reading three times a week for approx. 20-30mins each time (minimum).
- It is vital that children still hear adults reading to them as good models to copy!
- It is vital that children discuss what they have read!
To make life as easy as possible...
- We will keep to our rule of sending work out for all year groups on a Friday.
- Homework will be uploaded to the school website to help parents access the tasks that have been set. Go to the class pages and scroll down to find it.
- We will accept work back in on any day from early finishers but the deadline is Weds.
Example Goldsmith Golden Facts - it is important to practice these facts with your child 3x weekly.